I love the idea of making home made Christmas presents, preferably food ones, and popping them all in a hamper, with a pretty bow on top. But the reality is that often we don’t have time to make these gorgeous hampers, so we need to find quicker alternatives. This is where these chocolate buttons come in. They honestly only take 15 minutes to put together, which is great. And they’re totally vegan!
What you will need (to make about 15 buttons):
- 200g chocolate (I used vegan chocolate, but you could use non-vegan chocolate instead)
- 100g walnuts
- 150g glacé cherries
- First things first, melt the chocolate. Break it into chunks, pop it into a microwaveable bowl, and then blast it in 30 second spurts in the microwave until it has melted, which I think is the easiest way to do it.
- Decant the melted chocolate into either a piping bag, or a sandwich bag with a tiny corner cut off
- Lay down a sheet of greaseproof paper, and pipe generous circles of chocolate onto the paper
- Chop the cherries and walnuts into small chunks, and then place a few chunks of each onto the chocolate buttons
- Finally, leave the buttons somewhere cool to let them set
That’s it! They’re so easy to make, and I’ve actually made these as part of an upcoming blog post (which will be coming very soon).
I have to admit, as much as I would love to go totally vegan, and hopefully one day I will, I was a bit wary of this chocolate. I’ve tried vegan alternatives to chocolate before and was unsure, but I was so pleasantly surprised by this! It tasted so similar to non-vegan chocolate, the texture was the same, I really enjoyed it.
The main thing that I love about these chocolate buttons is that they are completely customisable, so you can put whichever toppings you want on them- fruit, nuts, seeds, honeycomb, the possibilities are endless!
See you tomorrow,